The increased use of pesticides in the growth of the cotton crop is not a piece of news to us. The ever-increasing demand and competition among the producers have made the use of chemicals mandatory. However, this is causing a significant impact on our planet. This awareness has slowly led to the growth of organic and recycled cotton clothing. This method, however, is still spread on a small scale. Until a few years ago, organic cotton clothing was unheard of. However, now you can get it in many clothing stores and in the online stores. We list below five reasons why people should prefer organic clothing.
- It is kinder to our planet – growing cotton heavily pollutes and damages the ecosystem. Studies reveal that around 16% of the world’s insecticides and 10% of the world’s pesticides are used in growing the cotton crop. This results in the emission of more toxic gases into our atmosphere. However, when we use organic farming for growing cotton, we actually help to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. In addition, the soil remains nutrient-rich and healthy because producers are mindful of the health and well-being of the soil.
- Safeguards the health of the farmers – millions of cotton workers suffer from pesticide poisoning each year. This can prove extremely dangerous to one’s health. It can also give rise to several diseases, congenital disabilities and the problem of infertility. In some cases, it can also be fatal. On the other hand, organic farming protects the health of the workers by providing them alternatives to such harsh chemicals.
- It protects all creatures – by keeping the environment, water and air clean and healthy, it protects all living creatures such as birds, animals, insects etc. the animals are looked after when you choose to grow organic cotton.
- It is certified – organic farming is certified. This means there are good working conditions for the workers and is fairly traded. The workers are given their rights and a fair wage so that they can support themselves and their families fairly well.
- Good for your skin – since organic farming of cotton does not use harsh chemicals, it makes for a comfortable clothing item. The skin is safe from these chemicals. Traditionally grown cotton uses toxic dyes resins and formaldehyde, which may be absorbed through the skin. For infants, it is highly risky as their skin is even thinner than adults are. With organic clothing, you are rest assured of contacting no skin problems, allergies, or irritation. Hence, organic cotton fabric feels good to the skin.
With the above benefits, we are sure you will now prefer to buy organic cotton. Organic clothing is also becoming a new fashion trend. The new ‘eco-friendly’ generation prefers to wear organic cotton clothes. If each one of us becomes responsible citizens towards the environment, organic farming will soon take the place of the traditional farming methods. It will gradually win a place both on the farmland as well as in the markets.